Monday, May 19, 2014

Review: Ignite Me

THIS IS MY FIRST REVIEW! HURRAH FOR ME!


Wonderful author of the Shatter Me trilogy

The Details

Title: Ignite Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Number of Pages: 408
Date of Publishing: February 4, 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins

The Introduction

The Shatter Me trilogy has peeked my attention ever since I first saw the front of the first book, which was approximately last year. I was so intrigued by the dazzling eyes staring at me whenever I see the covers of those books (prior to the release of Ignite Me), and when I opened them, I wasn't shocked to read premises, emotions, and descriptions beyond those of the "normal" cliche kind of story, all thanks to the wonderful Tahereh Mafi (or Mrs. Riggs, if you must). So now that the series  finally reached its conclusion, after a long riot of audiences screaming for more and more and more of those wonderful stories, let's all take a moment to absorb the realization. Onwards!


The Synopsis (by giddy Goodreads)





With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn't know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.




The Review

During the final chapters of Unravel Me,  I was wondering what would happen at the start of Ignite Me. It's typical of someone who's reading a series, isn't it? Anyways, since the ending of the second book was so intense for me, I thought that the beginning of the third one would be boring or slow-paced or whatever.

I was wrong.

By the time I reached chapter 3 of Ignite Me, I was already gripping my heart because of the sunken ships and the new ones and I was fanboying to the max in our room, with no one present of course. If ever you've already read Shatter Me or Unravel Me, you probably know that Tahereh's use of strike-throughs and metaphors and all those sappy stuff is really, really insanely superb. The way that she folds the words and the phrases into feelings and emotions, I'm stuck here thinking "Gosh, I wish I could write like her!" 

Ignite Me, except for the decrease in strike-throughs, was not different. Somehow, the author managed to squeeze an infinite number of conversations, scenes, and monologues over a very short time interval, the setting being only a few weeks long. 

As for Juliette, she did resemble Shakespeare's work. It's like she's a very intricate prose. Her narrations were very emotional, and the way that she described her feelings was astounding. The words she used seemed to reach out to us readers and grab our hearts, our soul, our minds. And that's what's amazing about Tahereh's character, that sense of feeling love and pleasure, or remorse and guilt, all of which coursed through Juliette in one point or another in the series.

One thing though. As I was nearing the end, I noticed that the pacing of the story goes from fast to very abrupt, and when I finally reached the last line, I was pleased, because it was a rather good ending, but I was craving for more. Yes it was very good, but when you look into it deeply, you would find yourself looking for a better climax. I think that's what the story needed at the time, a good climax. It's like going up a hill, and when you're at the top, suddenly you find yourself at the foot once more.

I don't want to argue, though, it's still one helluva series!!

That's all, cheers!!

The Rating

I give this series a good 4 out of five grenades!! The world created by Tahereh was indeed awesome, and the way she wrote her characters' thoughts and words, was pretty much the definition of astounding.





No comments:

Post a Comment