Monday, November 17, 2014

Uncanny Updates: So We Have This Thing Called DEAR


Hello guys! Um, so I've been blabbing how I kinda hate how pressuring school is nowadays, right? Well, to alleviate this, our English teacher put together D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read, as far as my knowledge is concerned) it's a school-thing even in the States wherein a portion of their period is dedicated to just reading. In our case, it's the first 15 minutes of the class.

Basically, students should be able to read at least 10 books by December. I think each read corresponds to points? I really don't know the specifics, but I LOVE IT. Ooh, and it's gonna be done alongside our Literary Selection for this quarter, The Catcher in the Rye.


Due to this, I've thought of a list of books that I'd like to accomplish in the given time! I might not finish them all, but it's worth a try! (I might also add other books to the things I've read)

Cinder


This is my current read, but I plan to finish it on or before this thursday. It is a futuristic re-telling of the world-famous fairy tale Cinderella by either the Brothers Grimm or Charles Perrault, AKA Cendrillon (although according to other sources, it dated back WAY before both). So far, I find this book very engaging, with vivid characters and a very distressing villain, portrayed by Queen Levana. The early revelations within the pages are also shocking and amusing at the same time.


The Catcher in the Rye


Okay I asked our English teacher regarding this and she said it's fine. Together with Cinder, Catcher is also one of my current reads. I find the writing of Salinger humorous, and Holden is just so sassy. But to think of it, Holden's personality is actually pretty sad, for me. I could reveal why, but I guess that would be tantamount to spoiling the book, or may result to kerfuffles (fancy). I guess you should just read and see, even if our views might be different. 


Snow Like Ashes


Another intriguing book. I actually have the hardback edition of this on my shelf, courtesy of Fullybooked. I've been keeping an eye out for this since last summer, and now I finally own it! This is a high fantasy novel which integrates the four seasons as kingdoms. And, like the cover and the synopsis or gist, it focuses on the kingdom of Winter. 


The Elite


I also own this title in paperback, haha. The Selection was so phenomenal I practically tore my heart off after finishing it. The writing was very suave and I really liked America Singer's character (except for that Aspen part, sorry Asperica shippers). Most non-bookworm people would label this as "too princess-y" but it is clearly not. 

Fire with Fire


I've read Burn for Burn and it was actually magnificent. It's such a shame that I haven't found the time to finish this one up. The ending of the previous installment was so unexpected, although I've sensed in the past that something similar would happen. 


Legend


Would it be weird if I told you guys that this is also one of my current reads? Probably, but I can't deny the truth. What I can say about this right now is that I really love the technicality and readability of this book. I find myself gripping the edges on specific parts, like the Skiz fight invloving June and stuff. It's kinda depressing for me because I won't be able to go to the book signing event next week, so yeah. *cries the Nile*


The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight


According to some people I know, the plot isn't that great. But meh, I still want to read this, primarily because I want to find out if I agree or disagree with those people. :)


Evernight


This is not your average Twilight-story. Bianca is a strong character and I could sense it. I could also sense that this book, this series even, is going to be marvelous for me.


Starters


Another high-octane dystopian creation that I'm dying to read. I've seen the first few chapters and gee, it's really full of unique world-building. I was actually able to meet Lissa Price, the author, and she told the readers who came that she got the idea of the Spore Wars (wherein people who are 20-60 years old were killed) in a vaccination incident she encountered. 


Veronika Decides To Die


The funny thing is, I haven't really read any Paulo Coelho books, not even The Alchemist. But according to my mother, who happens to have read ALL Agatha Christie books, it's really good and it would be perfect for me. I think I'm in love with this one already (plus the ironic plot).


Fahrenheit 451


I'm a bit ambitious, but yeah. Apparently, 451 degrees Fahrenheit is the temperature required to ignite a page of a book. This is one of the finest pieces of dystopian literature, as others impose. It depicts a futuristic America wherein books are outlawed, and "firemen" are sent out to ignite any book they find. This is exactly why I want to read this (I really WANT to read this during DEAR)


The Retribution of Mara Dyer


I could only guess that you've been seeing this on my blog for CENTURIES now. I just really love the Mara Dyer Trilogy. REALLY. I suggest giving this one a try. I've been trying to get a hold of a copy of this, but all hardbacks are reserved (in Fullybooked, at least). Trust me. I love how unreliable the narrator is, and I love how everyone else is otherwise. I implore you.



I guess that's enough. Or else I might run out of resources (time, mainly) hahaha!
Well, see you next time!



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enthused about our D.E.A.R., but I'd just like to clarify that it's been around for a very long time. I just didn't have enough courage to try it regularly in class. If it succeeds with your group, I'm going to implement it everyday next school year. ;-)

    Good luck on your list.

    By the way, it's Charles Perrault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh okay :)
    According to other sources, though, Cinderella's tale was around centuries before Perrault and the Brother's Grimm, it's just that it was Westernized by the former :)
    But I'm no historian haha!

    And thank you ma'am! I really wish I could accomplish these :) I'm actually nearly done with Cinder and the catcher in the Rye :)

    ReplyDelete