Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Review: Anna and The French Kiss



The Details

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Number of Pages: 372 pages
Publishing Date: August 4, 2011
Publisher: Speak

The Synopsis

Can Anna find love in the City of Light?

Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken —and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she's waiting for?



The Talk

This is going to be long. SO LONG

Okay. 

This is one of my recent contemporary reads, and I LOVE IT.

I love every single thing about this book.

I think that it is rare to find a contemporary like this. 

For one thing, the characters. Anna Oliphant, is the protagonist of this story. Unlike most girls in the contemporary novels I've read, Anna doesn't explicitly state her feelings every second in the plot. Some people say that she's cliche, but I disagree. She is sassy, and her humor is beyond funny. I also perfectly understand her loathing for her father. I'm not relating this to my personal life, but I felt a sense of sympathy whenever she brings up the topic of how her father sent her to Paris without consent. Also, she's not that b*tchy/whiny girl that I've encountered in some books. Well, maybe a little. But she is selfless, and she always considers the consequences/repercussions of the things she do. Another excellent thing about Banana Elephant is her imperfection. She has flaws, and she acknowledges them. To the extent of sort of breaking herself, because she realized that she always falls for the wrong guy.. hehe read to find out!

Then we have Etienne. GOD ETIENNE ST. CLAIR! He's your typical badboy-not-really-badboy , but like Anna, he acknowledges his flaws. Those infinitesimal moments with him and Anna in the book were priceless, and I often end up laughing my arse off, because of Etienne's Briticisms and their shared jokes. And of course, we have that Thanksgiving part in Paris (Am I enticing you already because I hope I am). He was described as gorgeous, but short, and I imagine him EXACTLY how I want him to be.

The next point is the plot. A lot happened within this relatively-thin book. Heck, it takes place in NINE MONTHS! Miss Perkins' way of writing also made me feel as if I was in Paris, sipping coffee or eating crepes. And I like how she went around and sort of "imparted" the personal lives of Anna and Etienne's friends as well, sharing their problems and situations and such. I also like the pacing of the book. Fast but not rushing. Slow yet full with meaning and sentiment. Kudos to her!!

There's also heart-warming and heart-destroying moments. There are twists. Not explosive twists, more like twisting a straight wire (what). And I loved how Anna, Etienne and the others dealt with themselves through the course of the book.

I LOVE IT

I LOVE IT

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU MISS STEPHANIE PERKINS FOR CREATING THIS MASTERPIECE. LOOKING FORWARD TO LOLA AND ISLA!!!

The Rating

I'm giving this book a good five out of five grenades.

Yes. This book deserves it. I can even say (in my own opinion) that it's as good as The Fault in Our Stars, if not better. So again again again, Kudos to Stephanie Perkins!




4 comments:

  1. Why do i feel that you wdre referring to me when you said: "some people think she's cliche" hahahah xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!
      :3
      lol no :P
      sorry if I disappointed you ;)
      hahaha

      Delete
  2. YAY SO GLAD THAT YOU LOVED THIS BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete