Thursday, July 7, 2016

Review: Onyx Webb Book 1

After a LONG while, a review!
This book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Some goodies also came in with the book!


Title: Onyx Webb Book 1 (Episodes 1-3)                                           Authors: Richard Fenton, Andrea Waltz                                           Number of Pages: 216 (TPB)                                                             Publication Date: March 17, 2015                                                     Publisher: Courage Craft (Lust for Life Press)                                                                                                                                     
It’s June, 1980 and piano prodigy, Juniper Cole is on the way to her senior prom.

- It’s January 2010, and Koda Mulvaney has blown through his 20 million dollar trust fund and is told by his father to return home and get to work.

- It’s August, 1904 and little Onyx Webb is on her way to the famous World’s Fair in St. Louis with her father, Catfish.

Two of the three will see a ghost, one will become a ghost and everyone will learn that life is hard to let go of even when you’re dead. And that's just Book One. Designed to read like a supernatural soap opera, Onyx Webb is a paranormal suspense series, with supernatural romance, as well as a dash of historical fiction. The stories may haunt you, the darkness may disturb you, but ultimately you’ll be reminded to treasure every moment of your life because... If you think life is precious now? Just wait until you’re dead.

Review:

              At first, I was kinda afraid to venture reading a book which uses the "episodic" way of telling a story. I was worried that I won't like the pacing, that everything would be discombobulated, and that I would have to put this book down. Gee, I'm so glad that I didn't. It turns out that this book is cunning-it deceived me about my misconceptions! Now, I'm having trouble finding copies of the other books here in the Philippines. Guess I'll have to find harder.

              Onyx Webb is just the first book in a series of 9. It's centered around this plethora of characters that at first, seem like strangers. We have Onyx Webb, the namesake of the series, as well as Koda, Juniper, and all the other side-characters like Obedience. I found myself gasping with shock at some points in the book, because of the sudden revelations that entail the story arcs. The book employs flashbacks and multiple perspectives in multiple timelines, and whenever a couple of plot devices click, it'd just shock you (or surprise you, at least), because of how well the pieces fit together.
It's okay if you fear death, but you must never fear life.
         Although some of the characters seemed bland to me, there are far more important, "electric" characters. For instance, Ulrich wasn't really consistent. He's brash and drunk but sometimes his personality doesn't fit in with what was previously established. I don't get him at times. But of course, there's Onyx, a naive woman with lots of potential (who also happens to have the integral parts of the series, hence the name). There's also Koda Mulvaney, swoon-worthy billionaire with a swoon-worthy best friend named Dane Luckner. The characters' attitudes towards life in general are so diverse, each and every one of them is distinctive from the others. And even though they had lots of good traits, I'm guessing the writers decided that their bad, and negative emotions/personalities still needed to be exposed. I laud this, because these characters aren't your stereotypical bunch of faces. They're real, or at least felt real, for me.
Only now do I realize it was the fear itself that finally made me daring.
               The plot, or plots, as some would say, has the right amount of everything in it. Some romance, slice of life, thriller, and supernatural elements still worked together to bring out the best and the worst of the characters. What intrigued me, however, is the fact that my previous worries--about each "episode", was what really got me hooked on this book. I found that each episode literally felt like an episode from a TV Series, with scenes and cliffhangers to look forward to. And that's what I felt by the end of Episode 3. It was like I was waiting for Episode 4 next week. There were so many questions left unanswered, and I felt at peace when I realized I still had 8 more books to read to wrap things up. My time with Onyx's world is far from over.


About Andrea Waltz

I'm a professional speaker, business author and most recently have added fiction to my resume. As co-author of the best-selling title, Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There I am wildly passionate about this message. I am also proud of our collection of other business fables.

My newest passion along with my husband, business partner and co-author Richard is writing our fiction series, Onyx Webb. Onyx Webb is a paranormal suspense series. We' re writing almost to read like a t.v. series; you could think of it like a supernatural soap opera. We've designed the Onyx Webb series to give readers the jolt of suspense they are looking for from a ghost story, but also to come away feeling motivated to make more of their own lives, long after the goose bumps have worn off. 

About Richard Fenton



Author, best-selling business fable Go for No! Also Million Dollar Year, The Fear Factory, The Diamond Line, and others. Professional speaker. Now also fiction author of, Onyx Webb, the Series.


If you liked this review, let me know in the comments below! What other books do you recommend? Follow me to be updated on anything bookish. By the way, I'm really digging my Great-Gatsby/AHS inspired banners and graphics. I'm doing all of them on Adobe Illustrator LOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment